Friday 12 September 2014

Kitty cuteness


I was delighted to test another sweet pattern from E+M Patterns last month! This one is Girl's Dress Pattern No.13.  It comes in sizes 2 -10 (made in size 8 for my super tall 5 year old).

I was so excited when she released the pattern to testers on my day off work, which just so happened to be a non-OT day, which left me the afternoon to sew!  I spent a good half hour browsing fabrics in peace that morning while I waited for the release of the pattern.  I tried out a fabric store recommended to me by Karen, that isn't far from where I live, yet I never knew about it.  It was a gem of a find!  I looked at the gorgeous fabrics, and was trying to decide between two floral fabrics when I spied the bargain bin.  I saw this sweet Japanese kitty fabric at an amazing price, and although I thought it might be a bit much for a dress, I knew it would be Miss M's pick, for sure.  Once I got it home, I loved it more and more - especially when I found some perfectly coordinating fabrics hiding in my stash!




The top part of the dress is lined, and you can sneak a little peak at the bright pink leaf fabric lining the bodice of my version in the cute "Mummy Shot" above (isn't she adorable?!), and the elastic waistline is accented with faux ties from a lemon/lime spot fabric that coordinates with the little flowers on the print.


I couldn't resist adding a cute kitty face applique, to make her smile even more.  I love seeing that beautiful smile!  I had planned to do covered buttons with the pink leaf fabric I used in the lining and applique ears, but alas, I only had big buttons, the shops were closed and I needed to get it finished for photos.  Trusty Sculpey to the rescue, I made some marbled polymer clay buttons, using a loose button in my stash to imprint detail and mark the position of the holes.



The dress hits just above her knees, so it's the perfect length for summer (although I may make some little pink knit shorts to hide underneath as she's an active little kiddo!), but also great for layering with leggings on cooler transitional days in spring or autumn.  It is a fairly simple style, so it's perfect for play or slipping over bathers poolside, but also gives plenty of room for dressing up with embellishments or accessories.  I can just imagine it with a few contrasting ruffles down the front, or a sweet little cutout in the neckline.   What makes this pattern shine is the perfect fit, and the details in the seam finishing.  I love things that sew up quickly so I was very tempted to hit the overlocker, but held myself back and followed the instructions instead.  I have to say, I love the end result, even if it was a tiny bit more fiddly.  What I got for my extra half hour of time was a neat little dress inside and out, with no itchy seams to bother her, so it really was a win!


Most importantly, my little girl adores this dress.  It is a big hit, and I am sure it will get plenty of wear before her next growth spurt! Knowing her, she'll probably want to keep wearing it when it stops fitting!

Eek - I almost forgot! If you are looking for a FREE leggings pattern to make to go with this dress, grab it from E+M Patterns while you're there!  I was also one of the testers for this one, and again the fit is exactly how I like it.



No comments: